Is it time to lastly transfer on from firstname.lastname@example.org electronic mail tackle you signed up in school and get your self one which sounds rather less… quirky? Then it is perhaps time to learn to migrate to a brand new Gmail tackle.
We have all been there – the early days of the Web had been a darkish time, and people ‘cool’ electronic mail addresses gave the impression of a good suggestion on the time. However getting a brand new electronic mail tackle that you simply aren’t ashamed of placing down in your CV is smart. Signing up for a brand new Gmail – or another electronic mail account – is straightforward sufficient, however you do not wish to depart all of your outdated emails behind or should hold managing two accounts, proper?
The excellent news is that you do not have to do both of these issues. There are two methods you’ll be able to proceed – you would switch all of the outdated mails to your new electronic mail account, in order that all the pieces is searchable and accessible in a single place. Or, you would handle your older account out of your new Gmail account, so each stay energetic. Each strategies work tremendous, although the primary is lots easier, as soon as the preliminary setup is finished.
That is what it’s essential to do if you wish to migrate to a brand new Gmail account from an older one. Please be aware that these steps solely work once you open Gmail on a desktop browser, as not all choices can be found within the Gmail app or by way of the cell model of Gmail. As a substitute, in order for you, you’ll be able to add your older accounts (together with non-Gmail ones) to the app so you’ll be able to entry all of them in the identical place.
Transfer emails from one Gmail account to a different
That is, as we talked about above, the simpler of the 2 strategies. All it’s essential to do to import your outdated mails and contacts is change a couple of settings in your new Gmail account. Please be aware that this seems to solely work with a Gmail account – a Google Apps account (a Gmail account that does not use the @gmail.com tackle) might not have the identical choices.
That is what it’s essential to do to maneuver emails and messages from one Gmail account to a different:
- Open your new Gmail account.
- Click on on the gear icon within the prime proper and click on on Settings.
- Click on on Accounts and Import.
- Click on on Import mail and contacts.
- Within the pop-up window, enter your outdated electronic mail tackle, and click on on Proceed.
- Click on on Proceed on the following pop-up, and on the brand new pop-up window, sign-in to your outdated account.
- Click on on Agree after signing in, and the second pop-up will shut. On the following display, stage all of the bins (Import contacts, Import mail, Import new mail for the following 30 days) checked, and click on on Begin import.
That is it, you are carried out. Gmail will begin to import your outdated mails from the account, and it’ll additionally import all of the contacts. The method will not be instantaneous, and relying on how a lot mail is in there, it might take a short time. Now, unfold the phrase to everybody to allow them to learn about your new tackle, and for the following 30 days, all mails to your outdated tackle will proceed to return to your new tackle. After that, you’ll be able to bid farewell to the outdated tackle with all of your contacts and mails protected and sound.
Managing outdated Gmail tackle from the brand new one
Should you assume that you will hold getting vital mails on the outdated electronic mail tackle, you may wish to verify it every so often. However managing a number of emails is a drag. If you will get it multi functional place, why not, proper?
You possibly can set Gmail as much as hold fetching mails out of your outdated electronic mail account, however as we talked about earlier, this course of includes a couple of additional steps. That is what you do.
- Go to your outdated Gmail account.
- Click on on the gear icon after which click on on Settings.
- Click on on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Within the POP Obtain part, click on on Allow POP for all mail. Right here, you too can select what occurs to mails within the outdated tackle – you’ll be able to both depart a duplicate within the outdated account, mark it learn, have it archived, or deleted, relying on what you favor, by means of the dropdown menu within the POP Obtain part. If you do not know what this must be, depart it on the default setting (which is to go away the copy within the inbox).
- Scroll down, and click on on Save Modifications. Now, signal out, and go to your new Gmail account.
- As soon as once more, click on on the gear icon after which click on on Settings.
- Click on on the Accounts and Import tab.
- Within the fourth part, Examine electronic mail from different accounts, click on on Add an electronic mail account.
- Within the pop-up window, enter your outdated electronic mail tackle, and click on Subsequent. On the following display, select Import emails from my different account (POP3), after which click on Subsequent.
- Right here you’ll be able to enter your password, and if you wish to delete the messages from the outdated account, be sure that Go away a duplicate of retrieved messages on the server is unchecked.
- You can too verify Label incoming messages in order that emails that had been despatched to your outdated tackle are straightforward to seek out and do not get blended together with your new account mails. The default label is the outdated electronic mail tackle, however you’ll be able to change this by clicking on the drop field to the correct of the choice.
- As soon as you have chosen all of the settings you need, click on on Add Account.
That is it, you are carried out. With this, all of your outdated emails will likely be transferred (slowly) whereas your contacts get backed up rapidly, and all new emails will proceed to indicate up in your new electronic mail account as effectively.
Do you know you would migrate to a brand new Gmail account, and are you considering of doing this? What embarrassing electronic mail addresses from the previous have you ever given up on? Inform us by way of the feedback.